Funded by USAID through the Central Africa Regional Program for the Environment (CARPE), USAID’s Forest and Biodiversity Support Activity, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development (www.tetratech.com/intdev), works with environmental stakeholders in the Congo Basin to address large-scale threats to forests and biodiversity. The Activity strengthens local institutions via targeted capacity-building, improved knowledge-sharing and communications across conservation networks, and generation of new analysis and evidence to support policy reforms and greater innovation among conservation approaches. To implement these strategies, the Activity works closely with a broad network of institutions including civil society, media, government, and other conservation and development practitioners in the countries of the Congo Basin. The Activity is currently accepting expressions of interest for a Senior Program Coordinator based in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Position Description/Summary: The Senior Program Coordinator reports to the Chief of Party and will support technical leadership and coordination in relation to at least two of the Activity’s main technical workstreams: improved forest, biodiversity and land management, effective enforcement of forest and wildlife crime, or inclusive markets and sustainable finance for conservation and forest management. The Coordinator will also provide technical oversight to the Activity’s knowledge management portfolio, which includes monitoring, evaluation, and learning and communications. This is anticipated to be a full-time position based in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo with some domestic and regional travel within Central Africa.
- Oversee one or more technical workstreams technical aspects of the Activity including supervision of component leads to ensure effective and timely delivery of program objectives.
- Provide technical guidance to Activity technical and grants staff including review and editing of technical deliverables, grant solicitations, and knowledge products.
- Support coordination of work planning, reporting, pause-and-reflect sessions, and other internal work management processes to ensure clear timelines and accountability are established and implemented in line with the Activity Annual Work Plan.
- Coordinate with the COP and Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)/Operations to support alignment of technical objectives with budget resources.
- Work with the DCOP/Operations to ensure that finance related to technical activities are planned and managed effectively in close coordination with all technical/ program staff.
- Ensure that technical staff and activities comply with Tetra Tech’s management, operational and security procedures, policies and regulations, as well as USAID’s procedures and regulations.
- Work with the Communications and CLA Lead to ensure effective implementation of Activity knowledge management, MEL, and communications workstreams.
- Ensure quality control for technical content and strategic relevance on all technical workstream activities, concepts, scopes of work, deliverables. Ensure that reasonable deadlines are set and met, and all written products are of a high-quality and near ready for external audiences.
- Serve as a Member of the Activity Senior Management Team in Kinshasa.
- Oversee the development of concept notes and technical scopes of work for short-term technical assistance and subcontractors as relevant
- Backstop the COP, including serving as a technical point of contact for the Activity, as needed
- Master’s degree or equivalent in natural resources management, environmental management, environmental law or policy, Sociology of development, public policy, biodiversity conservation.
- At least eight (8) years of professional experience working on natural resource management or biodiversity programs; at least two (2) years of supervisory or project management experience is preferred.
- Technical expertise in one or more of the following areas: private sector engagement, market systems, natural resource management, biodiversity conservation, climate change/sustainable landscapes.
- Demonstrated experience working with multidisciplinary teams to implement complex regional projects in forest management, biodiversity conservation or related fields.
- Prior experience with USG funded programs preferred.
- Demonstrated experience to work independently, make sounds decision and implement accordingly with minimal oversight.
- Prior experience working on donor funded projects in Africa; direct experience in Democratic Republic of Congo or other Central African country preferred.
- Strong writing and communications skills as evidenced by experience producing technical analyses, work plans and reports, or other communications products.
- Professional fluency in French and English.
How to Apply
To be considered, applicants must submit the following as part of the on-line process:
- Cover Letter
- CV in reverse chronological format
Please indicate where you saw Tetra Tech’s IDS ad posted.
Apply on-line at: https://bit.ly/SrPCFABS
Please ensure that your Cover Letter and CV/Resume are uploaded and if noted above, any additional requested documentation as part of your application. Incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees - 21,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 450 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.