Senior Civil Engineer
MASS is seeking a full-time Senior Civil Engineer to join our team in Kigali, Rwanda. We are a mission-driven design collective that approaches architecture and engineering with an interdisciplinary focus on improving people’s lives in measurable ways. We create environments that promote health and human dignity, and design towards a regenerative building culture that advances economic, social, and environmental justice from the scale of a building to the scale of a system. Our projects seek to support equitable and climate-positive transformation of the built environment.
The MASS Engineering team has grown significantly over recent years, and now employs 24 staff across Structural, Civil and MEP disciplines. We are looking to hire an additional Senior Civil Engineer to strengthen the team’s capacity as well as providing design leadership to the more junior members of the team.
You will lead the civils design of medium to large projects, and will be responsible for guiding and leading the junior engineers working for you. A key aspect of the MASS approach to civil engineering is a desire to integrate innovative sustainable and low-energy solutions wherever possible. You will be responsible for researching and implementing appropriate technologies on our projects. Once projects reach site you will work alongside the site team to monitor the contractor’s work, ensuring that it is aligned with the design, and leading the response to contractor queries and requests.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Chartered or near-Chartered Engineer with a recognized engineering institution.
- Demonstrated capability to lead and manage all phases of design including scheme design, development of design documents, construction detailing, coordination, management of construction documents, specifications, and design reports.
- Excellent general civils design expertise, including access, grading, retaining, site utilities networks, stormwater management, and wastewater treatment:
- Ability to propose civil infrastructure strategy to align with specific project missions and to fit within site context.
- Able to produce designs for civil infrastructure systems including wastewater management, water supply, stormwater management, vehicle access. Understands when to use hand calculations and when to use analysis models, and is proficient in both;
- Familiar with relevant national and international standards, codes, guidelines and design data, and able to work in accordance with the relevant documents;
- Ability to produce high quality design documentation for all project stages, including drawings, specifications and design reports.
- Experience in site assessments for early design stages;
- Ability to manage and deliver a medium project effectively in a fast-paced environment;
Ability to manage others to produce high-quality design work:
A track record of managing project schedules and budgets;
Skill in developing clear work plans, establishing clear project roles, developing quality standards and protocols, and training and mentoring junior team members.
Able to manage quality assurance on a project, particularly checking calculations and drawings produced by others.
Skills in relevant civil engineering design software:
Expertise in AutoCAD and Civil 3D;
Proficiency in relevant analysis packages e.g. SSA, HydroCAD, EPANET;
Knowledge of GIS applications.
- Ability to interrogate Bills of Quantities, and review and adjust designs based on project costing advantages.
- Strong interdisciplinary coordination and collaboration skills, particularly with Landscape Architecture and MEP;
- Experience overseeing civil works through construction, ideally in East Africa. Understanding of typical construction practice and the capacity to develop standards and protocols to improve quality.
- Positive and proactive attitude with a commitment to setting a culture of excellence and an emphasis on design quality and attention to detail;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with various audiences including senior leadership, constructors, partners/clients and the communities they serve. Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Relevant Masters's degree or other specialist civils training.
- Professional proficiency in other languages, particularly French, and Portuguese.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in sustainable and low-technology approaches, and the ability to research, design and implement alternative solutions.
- Leads delivery of coordinated civil engineering designs in line with budget, Schedule, and project mission statement;
- Works collaboratively with the interdisciplinary MASS team, including architects, landscape architects and engineers;
- Ensures that civil engineering designs are produced in accordance with MASS Engineering quality management standards;
- Researches and implements sustainable solutions;
- Manages and trains junior engineering staff;
- Supports MASS architecture and landscape architecture teams in concept and scheme designs;
- Works collaboratively with sub-consultants, contractors, and suppliers to achieve quality solutions and end products.
- Prioritizes office culture, and encourages and leads creative activities.
At MASS Design Group we want people to be afforded the ability to do public interest work as a career and offer competitive salaries, health insurance, retirement plans as well as the opportunity to work with lighthouse organizations on seminal projects that promote justice and human dignity.
With over 200 employees from almost a dozen countries, MASS lives our belief that only a diverse staff from widely varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds is properly equipped to tackle complex challenges in our communities. We aspire to create a more inclusive architecture and engineering profession and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
How to Apply
Interested applicants fulfilling the above-mentioned criteria are invited to submit their application documents through Job in Rwanda by “filling out the application form carefully” including detailed Curriculum Vitae (max 5 pages), a motivation letter and a copy of university degree(s). Past and current service certificates also need to be attached to the application (unproven experience will not be considered during the shortlisting).
Submit the full file not later than 23rd March 2023.