Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified French speaking Head of Support Services with overall leadership responsibility for DRC’s operational management in DR CONGO within Finance, Administration, HR, and Logistics and Procurement.
The Head of Support Services requires demonstrated ability to develop long-term vision and strategic planning, provide leadership for DRC’s operations, and a high level of financial and operations planning. S/He deputizes for the Country Director as requested and/or needed. The role is directly responsible for ensuring that DRC’s Programme in DR CONGO operates in accordance with DRC’s operational standards as expressed in the DRC Operations Handbook and other guidelines in DRC.
About the Job
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team of DRC in DR CONGO in liaising with donors and authorities, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration, and audit
- Oversee the operational support units for the country operation, in finance, administration, HR management and logistics/procurement in the country office as well as the field offices, by providing technical support and strategic leadership to the areas under his/her supervision
- Supervision, audits and controlling and implementation of corrective actions related to DRC’s operational standards, in the areas of Finance, Administration, HR, and Logistics/ Procurement
- Ensure that DRC retains and continually develops its operational capacity to provide rapid emergency response in particular within its procurement and transport systems
- Develop a risk management plan for the country that identifies the major financial and operational risks and implement a mitigation strategy. Ensure that all administrative and legal-related systems are accurate and maintained.
- Work to build the capacity of the operational support staff throughout the DRC DR CONGO operation through frequent in-service training sessions and mentoring support.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DRC’s global development initiatives, in particular in procurement and financial accountability.
- Lead and manage the support managers (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Manage, deliver and report on current operations programme support in geographic scope
- Establish high performing support teams ensuring high-quality approaches are maintained
- Develop and improve operational approaches, compliance and systems, and support the
- Regional/Country Director to build and deliver effective and sustainable interventions.
- Responsible for the strategic development, management and implementation of the support operations
- Ensure appropriate technical support is available to programs, in line with organizational priorities
- Ensure support for annual planning and review processes
- Direct responsibility for ensuring that the DRC Programme operates in accordance with DRC’s support function guidelines
Operational management and development
- Oversee the operational support units for the country/region by providing strategic leadership and technical support to the areas under his/her supervision
- Support the Regional Director and the Senior Management Team in liaising with donors and authorities, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration, and audit
- Supervision, audits and controlling and implementation of corrective actions related to DRC’s operational standards within support area
- Ensure that DRC retains and continually develops its operational capacity to provide rapid emergency response in particular within its procurement and transport system
- Develop a risk management plan for the country that identifies the major financial and operational risks and implement a mitigation strategy
- Ensure that all administrative and legal-related systems are accurate and maintained
- Work to build the capacity of the operational support staff throughout the operation though frequent in-service training sessions and mentoring support
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DRC’s global development initiatives
Technical Line Management responsibilities
- Provide technical guidance and support to other Employees in same technical area, who report to a different Manager
- Advise on and promote understanding and application of DRC policies, procedures and principles
- Raise non-compliance
- When relevant, drives development of policies and standards in region or country and/or localizes global policies to regional or country level
To be successful in this role we expect you possess the following:
- Relevant university degree (e.g. international development, economics) with specialization in administration management
- Minimum 5 years of senior leadership experience in operations management roles with at least 2 years of experience in a similar role in an international NGO
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Proven operational management experience and capability, including in conflict areas
- Proven significant financial, information and systems management experience
- Significant experience in procurement and tender processes
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with a well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at high levels
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results
- Understanding and experience of institutional fundraising
- Understanding of the countries in which DRC operates and sensitive to the cultural context
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Full professional proficiency in French
- You have the ability to motivate and guide staff and thrive on the capacity building side of your job.
- You are known to be a strong, confident and active leader; who on the one hand is inclusive, approachable and good at delegating, while on the other hand is not afraid to stand alone and take tough decisions.
- You have a natural talent for working analytically and find that you excel in tasks concerning development of systems and procedures, ensuring compliance, and interpersonal communication.
- You have strong problem solving ability.
- You thrive by working in complex emergency operations within a changing and at times insecure environment and as a result have a natural ability to work well under pressure reflecting your solid personal stamina.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 24 months
Designation of Duty Station: Non-family Duty Station
Start date: 1 March 2023
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates.
How to Apply
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Please click here to apply
Closing date for applications: 5 February 2023
The screening process for this position is on rolling basis, so early submission of applications is encouraged. DRC remains a right to close the vacancy once a suitable candidate is identified.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.