Role & Responsibilities
Support the Country Logistics Manager (CLM) in the provision of the logistics support for the programme. The position is based in Bunia, where Medair runs a significant operation. This forms the heart of the support to the CLM. The operation in Bunia requires a senior logistics management presence and the Deputy Logistics Manager (DLM) major responsibility is to ensure an effective supply chain function at all times. This means that standard logistics and related administrative systems are established and programmatic needs are delivered. As a significant part of the Logistics resources are managed from Bunia it is planned that the DLM serves as country focal point for the fleet and all types of Equipment and assets. By working closely with the CLM, The DLM is able to replace the CLM in his or her absence. This role provides additionally support in the strategic logistics direction, management and evaluation of the logistics function, reporting and accountability requirements, legal compliance, external representation, team leadership and staff capacity building. In the coming future Medair DRC is planning to implement Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance & Supply Chain Management. The DLM has a significant role in this project, both in the preparation and the implementation of this software.
Multi-sector relief & rehabilitation programme including provision of primary and emergency health care, water and sanitation & nutrition to assist in reducing morbidity & mortality in vulnerable populations of DRC.
Field based position in Bunia, Democratic Republic of Congo with frequent visits to field locations.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Logistics Management – Supply chain
- Provide technical oversight and ensure proper supply chain management practices and procedures are in place according to Medair standards to provide optimum support.
- Proactively engage with key staff to ensure project planning and budgeting incorporates adequate funding for logistics capacity and resources. Provide support for, and carry out logistics assessments.
- Support the CLM in the management of the procurement process in an efficient & cost-effective manner.
- Locate and negotiate contracting for storage/warehousing that is secure, well-maintained, and meets health and safe working practice requirements.
- Ensure international and national transportation of freight by land, sea and air is in line with programme budgets and needs; ensuring the most cost effective and reliable means of transport is used for the timely delivery of supplies to projects.
- Support the CLM in the maintenance of accurate filing systems, with documented and supported records of logistics transactions for audit purposes, and submit logistics reports to the in-country management team, and GSO logistics pursuant with Medair policies and procedures.
Logistics Management – Resources
- Ensure management of vehicle fleets; ensure appropriate allocation and safe use of vehicles throughout the programme and ensure servicing and maintenance schedules are adhered to. Ensure usage of fuel is correctly supervised, logged and recorded.
- Serve as Asset Management Focal Point for the Country Programme through the supervision and coordination of all matters regarding all types of equipment and assets including communication, IT and power, to ensure that equipment are managed diligently.
- Liaise as necessary with the landlord(s) to ensure proper maintenance and optimum availability of facilities and utilities (e.g. electricity, water, phone-lines, physical security and building repairs).
- Ensure regular backups are done for all computers throughout the programme and that virus updates and routine computer maintenance is carried out.
- Represent Medair in a professional manner contributing to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of Medair’s mandate, ethics and values.
- As delegated by the CLM, proactively engage with suppliers, partners, local authorities, other NGOs and clusters to plan, organise, and schedule distribution of goods and material to ensure good coordination and adequate information sharing, address common concerns/problems and seek solutions.
- Support the compilation of logistics components of all base and project budgets.
- Monitor spending of assigned budgets, and ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
- Staff Management
- Manage and motivate staff with integrity and foresight, to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, performance review, producing development plans, determination of training needs, etc.
- Working with the CLM to ensure that all logistics and relevant programme staff are adequately trained and create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching.
- Ensure that movement procedures are adhered to by Medair drivers.
- Provide support in managing security incidents as required, including the writing of incident reports.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet, ensuring that all standardised formats and guidelines are used.
- Review, develop and implement systems to improve transparency. Ensure adequate anti-fraud procedures are in place to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional qualification in logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, Business Management.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Minimum 2 years relevant logistics and management experience in emergency context.
- Experience of the management of budgets and the ability to prepare timely, complete and accurate reports.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in the logistics sector.
How to Apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).