Role & Responsibilities
The CESAM coordinates settings and supports of the Care Group Model (CGM) and streamlines other Behaviour Change Communication (BCC) strategies in Medair’s health, nutrition, protection and WASH projects. Be the linking pin between the community programme staff in the three bases and of the four sectors (Health, Nutrition, WASH and Protection), starting the process of streamlining BCC strategy throughout the sectors and the areas. Contribute to mainstreaming gender issues while also integrating more and more the Accountability to Affected Population (AAP) and safeguarding measures. The CESAM must have a good understanding of relevant national and international rules, regulations, and donor requirements concerning safeguarding and accountability, as well as BCC strategies.
Emergency health, nutrition, protection and WASH projects targeting displaced, war affected and vulnerable populations in north-east Congo. Some more sustainable objectives are aimed at longer term behaviour change to improve public health outcomes and increase accessibility. The Community aspects of the programming are Implemented at the household level, this behaviour change programme aims to positively change social and core behaviour of beneficiaries and communities and to directly reduce morbidity and mortality of children under 5 years of age and pregnant and lactating mothers in all project areas where Medair DRC implements its programme.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, with regular travels to other field locations.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
July 2022. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Represent Medair at BCC meetings, protection cluster meetings, PSEA taskforce and other workgroups and with local authorities, partners, and other NGOs as part of the community activities.
Health and Hygiene promotion
- Implement the proposed BCC activities using the Care Group Model and streamlining other community activities in Medair’s project areas throughout Eastern Congo.
- Ensure all activities are implemented and managed in the same way by different bases and sectors.
- In collaboration with Sector PMs, BCC Specialist and Advisors, identify target behaviours for barrier analysis or focused group discussions (formative research).
- Ensure focus group discussions and other methods of gathering qualitative data are taking place at critical times in the proposal cycle as agreed with advisors and M&E.
- Implement and supervise household mapping in BCC project areas.
- Coordinate with local community leaders and beneficiaries to oversee selection of Lead mothers by women in Care Group neighbourhoods.
- In collaboration with PMs and Advisors, ensure key behaviour change messages chosen to be communicated to care group members are in line with the health, nutrition, protection and WASH log frames.
- Liaise with relevant technical staff to study and learn technical aspects of the behaviours to be taught to the communities and liaising also with Community Liaison Officers in understanding resolving community issues.
- Teach the chosen behaviours to community project staff using adult learning techniques and ensure all teaching passed on to lead mothers and care group members is of high quality.
- In collaboration with PMs and Advisors write and submit monthly and quarterly work plans including selection of behaviours to be prioritized and identification of demonstrations to take place.
- Work on expansion of iCCM and community nutriton components like IYCF linked to the kitchen garden activities.
- Develop work and monitoring plans and monitor the progress of community project staff’s activities according to the needs of the project.
- Propose lines of intervention and new activities for health promotion intervention according to the needs on the ground.
- Train and supervise the community project staff in their activities on the ground.
- Ensure high communication and coordination with all stakeholders.
- Ensure staff receive training, advice, and coaching regarding community engagement to be applied to their sector as needed.
- Develop and update activity tracking tools in collaboration with the M&E manager.
- Ensure all community project staff are compliant with Medair guidelines, policies, and procedures, and adherent to any applicable donor guidelines.
Logistics and finance
- Structure the different budgets with lines for community-level work to make the best possible use of it by starting multisectoral community projects.
- Ensure the team have relevant material necessary to do demonstration during BCC sessions.
- Assist relevant field staff in management of BCC programme budget ensuring all expenses are managed through Medair’s financial procedures.
Safeguarding and accountability:
- Adapt and implement Medair safeguarding and accountability strategies to support and guide managers and staff;
- Ensure that adequate Safeguarding measures are integrated into office operations, processes and programmes as outlined by the Safeguarding implementation standards and other core Safeguarding documents.
- Coordinate the implementation of Medair Safeguarding Policy.
- Monitor AAP/PSEA/ Fraud and corruption/Good governance/ ethic code policies and reporting systems.
- Ensure that managers are aware of the standards applicable to their area(s) of responsibility; facilitate a team of delegate focal points, in order to ensure Safeguarding measures are integrated into activities across all departments; Advocate on Safeguarding and Accountability at all levels across the office.
- Work together with the administration officer, AAP, and PSEA focal points so that all actionable items/points are recorded into an internal database (QACS)Organise together with the administration officer and AAP and PSEA focal points mandatory Safeguarding and Accountability briefings, inductions and/or workshops to staff, managers and associates ensuring all are aware of organisational requirements and their specific responsibilities.
- In collaboration with the MEAL Manager, assure that SGA (Safeguarding and Accountability) data is regularly shared with management in a timely manner. Ensure prompt follow-up.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Post-graduate degree in the humanitarian sector or other relevant field. Health, social work, or psychology background or education (community health, social worker, nurse, midwife or doctor), or Public Health degree desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written). Swahili desirable.
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience.
- At least 1-year humanitarian experience where you worked with or observed health programming.
- Able to take initiative and speak confidently.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standard.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to Apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair Page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.