The Project Support Manager is key to the efficient and effective running of operations in the area to which they are assigned. This varied and challenging role involves coordinating and managing the main support functions including general administration, base management, finance, human resources, logistics and security. With line management responsibility for staff involved in support roles. In the absence of the Project Coordinator, the Project Support Manager also represents Medair at relevant meetings with contractors, local authorities, NGOs and other stakeholders.
Medair delivers life-saving multisectoral interventions to emergency affected populations in eastern DRC in difficult to access areas and despite security challenges. Attacks by armed groups and intercommunal violence in eastern DRC continue to threaten vulnerable populations, despite the efforts of the government’s armed forces (FARDC) and assistance from the UN Mission in DRC (MONUSCO). Sectors of interventions are health, nutrition and WASH.
In terms of outbreaks, the Eastern Part of DRC where Medair is providing support is keen to a frequent one as measles, cholera, Ebola (resurgence since February 2021) and COVID-19 pandemic (since March 2020). In this context, access and quality to PHC is a priority.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Various location in Eastern in Democratic Republic of Congo with constant travel to other bases. Interventions may be in remote and difficult to access areas for which the environment is physically challenging (accessible on foot). The security context is complex and also requires constant monitoring. Visits to emergency locations will be expected.
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Project Support Management
- Ensure the smooth running of the assigned base including staff supervision, maintenance and liaison with landlords, contractors and suppliers. Supervise all financial activities to ensure all cash management needs, reporting deadlines and internal and external audit requirements are met.
- Ensure all internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed, oversee preparation of weekly closing and monthly financial reports, review reconciliations done by financial assistants.
- Manage base budget(s), ensure expenditure is within set guidelines, ensuring all funds are well and timely spent in accordance with donor requirements and time frames. Oversee all human resource activities, supporting line managers as required in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc.
- Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to, including contracts, statutory deductions, record keeping, etc. Provide logistical support to programme staff and field bases, including managing the supply chain, vehicles, assets, IT and communication equipment and the training of logistics staff.
- Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics, particularly in the areas of procurement, storage and transportation. Monitor that regular computer back-ups, virus updates and routine maintenance are carried out and provide IT trouble-shooting if required. Work in the preparation and development of budgets for support and shared costs, ensuring they meet all relevant Medair and donor requirements.
- Manage and track expenditure of assigned budget, ensuring that spending is in accordance with donor requirements and time frames and notifying the relevant field managers of any necessary adjustments.
- In the absence of the PC, attend all relevant external coordination and security meetings and feedback information, as applicable, to the appropriate managers and staff.
- Follow the instruction of the PC, to ensure the availability of emergency equipment.
- Provide support in managing security incidents as required, including the writing and submitting of incident reports.
- Draw up, manage and periodically review contracts between Medair and external suppliers, ensuring they remain valid and relevant and that the terms and conditions are followed.
- Submit accurate and timely internal reports to field management and GSO and contribute to external reports.
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all transactions, that records are kept in an orderly and timely fashion and that the filing (archive) system is in line with Medair and donor requirements.
- Manage and oversee the assigned programme support staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, performance monitoring, disciplinary, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- Hold regular team meetings with the assigned programme support staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Work to strengthen internal communication, support, and mutual understanding between support functions and programs as appropriate to your work level and area of influences.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and are the most up to date versions and guidelines are followed.
- In conjunction with relevant managers review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
- Post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Team-player but also able to work independently. Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
How to Apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.*